Glengoyne Whisky

The design and build of a responsive website for Glengoyne Whisky.

The background

Glengoyne are owned by Ian Macleod Distillers Ltd and were aware that their existing website was looking dated after being around for about 4 years. We were tasked with bringing the brand more in line with the competition, whilst ensuring that the family run aspect of the company still ran through.

The website launched in November 2015.

Getting started

As seems to be the common trend with websites nowadays – they show their age remarkably quickly. This was no different with Originally designed and built in late 2011, several aspects of it needed attention. Copy was overused, buttons were small and everything had a cramped feeling to it.

The drinks industry is a constantly evolving marketplace with the competition undertaking huge overhauls of their digital presence to keep ahead of the game. My first step was to establish which were the important aspects of the existing and which parts needed to amended or removed.


We began the project with an initial prototyping stage. At this point I was attempting to establish who the target audience were as well as determining which of the original 10 menu items were vital. Together, we managed to reduce this down to a much more manageable 6 by merging some pages together as well as removing ones that didn’t seem to serve a purpose any longer.

It was my task to start the project in creating wireframes. I attempted to mirror not only the hierarchy of the site, but parts of the design too. This above image is the top level of the Our Collection page. By comparing the two, it becomes clear that a lot of attention to detail was taken care of at this initial stage.

Design concepts

The initial concepts and artboard were put together by the Creative Director then handed to me to continue working on. It was in this phase that I liaised with the client about the use of the geese for headers to raise brand recognition among consumers.

At this stage, I like to take time to really consider how the site will work across a number of devices and platforms. It can sometimes be a headache when coming to build it if this has not been the case, particularly for that middle ground of 500px to 900px. Luckily, this was all taken into account, and once the concepts had been through a number of tweaks and alterations with the client, we could proceed to the build stage.

The build

Once concepts are developed and agreed upon, I started on building the front end of the website in HTML. This then gets handed to the back end developers to implement into the Drupal CMS. As well as HTML, I used SASS extensively maxing use of a number of mixins, variables and other handy tools to make the development process not only easier, but more time efficient.

On the whole the project went well with the client and the team at The Weather being happy with the end result.

It’s only just gone live, so the plan is to assess how users’ are interacting with the interface over the coming months – particularly in the leadup to the busy Christmas period.